Sunday, September 19, 2010

The End.

Well, this is it. Getting on a plane home in a matter of hours rather than months, weeks, days. I'm looking forward to it, but also sad to leave Asia, I feel very settled and would be quite up for another jaunt round Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. But money/ time is holding me back, and I'm also suffering from a mysterious tropical disease, which I'm praying won't generate into dengue, so I guess it's time to head home. I realised today that this will be the first time I've spent more than one night in my own bed in six months and I must say, I'm quite excited, because it's rather comfy, especially compared to the sheets of hard hard rubber they call "mattresses" in Asia.
So in the time-honoured tradition (started about 6 weeks ago by Big Nessy J) here is a list, well actually, two: Things I will miss about Asia and Things I will not miss about Asia

Things I will not miss about Asia

1. Pavements that are like obstacle courses, complete with gross puddles erupting from dodgy paving stones
2. Feeling like you've run a marathon after walking down the street
3. Mosquito bites
4. The ridiculously long distances places are from each other
5. "Hey, you, where you go?"

Things I will miss about Asia

1. Delicious iced drinks for ridiculously low prices, especially mocha yen from Coffeezilla and cha yen from Mr. Willeam
2. Feeling the wind in your hair riding a motorbike without a helmet
3. Sangsom (cheap but delicious Thai rum)
4. The food. Oh my god, the food. Especially street pad thai, garden kaeng phet (red curry), northern sausage, chayote with garlic and oyster sauce, Thai omelettes, northern roast pork, temple khao soy, suki, ka-nom, iberry ice cream, jasmine rice, pad kra pao... ok, everything.
5. The people: Win and Nicky, reppin' Thailand, but also all the Americans, Canadians, Australians,  English, Vietnamese, Lao, Chinese, Burmese/ Lisu, Thai Yai, Malaysian.... the list goes on. But everyone I've worked with who have all been absolutely lovely, even if they did make fun of my accent (Americans), force me to drink (Win, prime culprit, but also Clara), make me eat parts of a pig that no-one should eat (again, WIN but also Nicky), rufie me (Win yet again) or just generally bullied me.

Anyway, it's been an amazing summer but it's time to go home now. First on the list for when I get back are proper bread, well toast and marmite, cheese, sleeping, moving in to the House of Leck and also catching up with all you lovely people patient enough to read right to the end of my blog in real life!

1 comment:

  1. It made me sad to sad to read this. It also made me sad to think you were looking forward to marmite...gross! I miss all of the things you miss too :( I'm glad you started this blog and I think you should continue it at Oxford.

    P.S. I'll see you in January :)

    ReplyDelete